Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Communion and rosary

Today and tomorrow, Elaine and I are in Lansing for District Council. We got up at five a.m. to get here (I just got up from a nice nap). We got a little lost coming into Lansing, with us both being tired and cranky that wasn't fun.

We joined the morning service in time for communion but not in time to be served the elements. As Brother Leach spoke about the significance of the body and the blood, I felt I was missing it. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my plastic rosary. Elaine gave me a look; she doesn't want the other pastors thinking I'm a catholic or something. I held the crucifix, clutched in-between my thumb and fist. There was something very moving about physically holding the suffering Christ. I guess that is some of the power of communion isn't it? I wept to feel him, not just the icon of him, but Christ himself suffering for me.

1 comment: