Thursday, November 17, 2005

Why so long a dry spell...

I got my second rejection letter a couple weeks ago. I sent my article Relational Ministry to Family Ministry. I promptly got my triplicate manuscript back in pristine condition. Not a red pen, not a drop of coffee, not a smudge of cheeto. They say that it doesn’t fit their journal.

I found myself loath to write since. Am I a writer? or do I fool myself? At least I can claim “laziness” more than Bill at the coffee shop. He smells like a nihilist with coke bottle glasses and grand thoughts of himself. He rarely buys a small coffee and always chats up the pretty young girls with his idea for the greatest American novel.
At least my words actually make it to print, and don’t simply fall out from my mouth like so much drool. I resist this feeling of inadequacy. So what if my articles aren’t published in print? They are published here, and here they shall remain until I can rework them into something better. My plan of action: couch the articles in narrative; conduct more case studies to provide characters for my story.