Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Uncle Ulrich and Aunt Ginney sang this German nursery rhyme to Ella, while bouncing her on their knee.

Hoppe hoppe Reiter (English below)
Hoppe hoppe Reiter
wenn er fällt,
dann schreit er,
fällt er in den Teich,
find't ihn keiner gleich.

Hoppe hoppe Reiter
wenn er fällt,
dann schreit er,
fällt er in den Graben,
fressen ihn die Raben.

Hoppe hoppe Reiter
wenn er fällt, dann schreit er,
fällt er in den Sumpf,
dann macht der Reiter... Plumps!
(Kind "fallen lassen")
See alternative verses below.
ENGLISH Prose Translation

Bumpety bump, rider,
if he falls, then he cries out
should he fall into the pond,
no one will find him soon.

Bumpety bump, rider...
should he fall into the ditch,
then the ravens will eat him.

Should he fall into the swamp,
then the rider goes... splash!
("Drop" child)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris.

    I stumbleed across your postmodern Pentecostal web site in late January and was sorry to see you discontinued adding to it in February. I appreciated your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, thank you for your kind comment. I am always glad to hear people can make something of my thoughts. Back in Feb. my daughter spilled a bottle of juice on our laptop, so I was down for a while. It is back up and running now.

    I set my blog up to automatically forward people to the archive for the current week, so I could work a head with out confusing myself or others. The unfortunate side effect is that if I miss posting for the next week by Sunday my lectionary blog apears to be gone until I do post. That is why having the laptop down was such a difficulty at the time. God has blessed us with some donated desktops now (more juice proof anyway).

    Thanks, Chris.

    ReplyDelete