Thursday, November 30, 2006

Search for Augustine

I had my library get a few different translations through inter-library loan. I have looked so far at Oxford university Press, World's Classics translated by Henry Chadwick; Signet Classic translated by Rex Warner and my copy which is Modern Library translated by Edward Pusey. I like Chadwick the best so far. This line from book 7 will show you why:

Pusey: "What were the pangs of my teeming heart, what groans, O my God! yet even there were Thine ears open, and I knew it not: and when in silence vehemently sought, those silent contritions of my soul were strong cries unto thy mercy" (one sentance).

Warner: "What agonies I suffered, what graons, my God came from my heart in its labor! And you were listening, though I did not know it. When in silence I strongly urged my question, the quiet contrition of my soul was a great cry to you for mercy."

Chadwick: "What torments my heart suffered in mental pregnancy, what groans, my God! And though I did not know it, your ears were there.
"As in silence I vigorously pursued my quest, inarticulate sufferings of my heart were loudly pleading for your mercy" (2 paragraphs).

It is the poetry that Chadwick provides that originally atracted me to the mystical Augustine.

No comments:

Post a Comment