Thursday, April 24, 2008

veneration of saints

I can’t get my head around the doctrines concerning Mary: her immaculate conception, her ascension, her various appearances, her intercessory roll… But, I am starting to see the place of devotion as love.

Today I was walking around the cemetery imagining I was Paul looking at the shrines in Athens. When I came to the head stone of Rev. John and Sister Ora Rosetta Dearing, I stopped. I knelt beside it and thanked God for saints, and the courage to stand in their place as a pastor and follow in their footsteps.

Pastor Dearing served my church for ten years. That is quite an accomplishment especially in light of the church having an average pastoral stay being about six months. He was much beloved. He died suddenly while away for General Council in 96. His wife was a dear saint. She sent us encouragements regularly. She saw in Elaine and I a mirror of her life with her husband in their early years. She profoundly impacted me with her notes, her visits and ultimately her death. Her funeral was the third in my pastorate here.

As I left the cemetery I did something very much resembling a devotion to Mary. I blew a kiss to their tomb stone. The connection suddenly came to me. For those who respect and love a saint (and Mary is at the top of the list to be loved and respected), such acts should be the acts of lovers. If we leave aside the pedantics concerning her veneration perhaps we can simply love her.

1 comment:

  1. I've had difficulty, as a protestant Christian, understanding some of the Catholic practices regarding the saints. Your post really helps!
    There is something to be said for respecting, honoring, and expressing love for those who have led the Way. Their lives "flesh out" the Gospel Christ proclaimed...they give us something solid to look at and say, "It IS possible!"
    So I guess those Catholic traditions that seem so strange-even heretical-to some...can actually serve as a means of attending to a way of life. Helping us gain a vision of life as God intends it, so that we can step further into that reality.
    Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete