Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Prophetic voice


Meditation on Isaiah 58:1-6

Proclaim the injustice to the church. They act like their nation has been chosen by me. They act as if their going to church and their religiosity, their work ethic and moral certitude was what I desired. They sing their songs loudly to me. They quarrel over whose worship feels best. And they pray to me for revival. As if they could stand my Spirit's Holy presence! As if they actually wanted me to show up!

Is this what I desire? Merely a morning sitting bored in a pew? Merely their acquiescence to my word? Is this what I desire, while they consume the vast majority of the world's resources and ignore the cries of the hungry, the barren, the maimed by war? When their comfort is foremost in their thoughts and not my ways - my compassion, my justice, my loving kindness?

No first repent of your hubris. Face the dark plight of the world and your own part in it. Grieve with me the loss of life and dignity. Then you may rejoice in the reconciliation I have planned for you! Then you may participate in my justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment