Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Days of survival

I've been fighting a cold the last few days. I made it through service Sunday, but crashed from there. We were supposed to go to a church planting retreat yesterday and today but didn't feel up to it. Still I managed to get the mess of an office upstairs cleaned out, and started working on this Sunday's sermon as well as the lenten services I'm involved in.

I still feel in a fog, and like life and work is passing me by. I am about to get started into the proper of the season in my Liturgy of the Hours, but they have been difficult to find meaning in through the clouds. Coffee soothes my throat but I've had so much of it that I'm getting indigestion.

This whole idea of entering the wilderness with Chirst keeps coming back to me. In the wilderness those things that I look to for succor and support are distant. I go hungry and thirsty. My attempts to be soothed leave me with indigestion and my heart burning.

The hunger and desire I can see in the words I write are now as intangible and as hard to hang on to as the fog I'm in. Lord take me out of this land of fog and mixed metaphor. Lead me into the wilderness, but open my eyes to your presence even here.
[Listening to: Track 8 - Unknown Artist - Unknown Album (1/30/2005 9:09:53 AM) (05:20)]

1 comment:

  1. The Thirsty Muse

    Hey Chris...I too have been going through a rough time, we are working to get into our new apartment and have had to paint into the wee hours. School work has suffered. I am supposed to write poems every week. but inspiration is hard to "force". In my Short-Story class my teacher mentioned the "thirsty muse" in referance to how a lot of artists look for altered states of conscience to get insperation drinking coffee or harder substances are common I think it is interesting that you feel lead to abandon these helps right now.

    keep on in the passion brother,
    Tory

    ReplyDelete