Sunday, October 15, 2006

How "The Grapes of Wrath (Penguin Classics)" changed my life

by John Steinbeck

I will never use the term “cotton-pickin’” in a negative context again! The way Steinbeck discribes the plight of the migrant workers in the depression, and the evil captitalist tactics made me wonder that there wasn’t a revolution.

Much like the Motor-cycle Diaries, I find myself wanting to effect change after reading it. O God, may we find ways to bring justice, equitability, sustainability and righteousness to something so mundane and so pervasive as economy!

I love the way Steinbeck alternates between the story of the Joads and the story of mankind as a whole in essays of essoteric discription. As much as I enjoyed following the story of the Joads, it was those essays between chapters that I most anticipated, and most shaped my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment