Monday, September 17, 2007

Sunday Night with Tom Trask

Man, I miss Sunday night services. They are the perfect answer to my weekly postpartum depression after preaching. So when Brad Trask sent an invitation to all Michigan credential holders to come out to a Sunday night service, I was into it. His church is only a couple hours away, and he had the Detroit Life Challenge choir singing and his dad preaching.

The service was nice. It wasn't spectacular, or extravagant, just what Sunday night services always were growing up. I wasn't surprised because Brad, and the ministers who showed up were greatly influenced by Tom Trask's ministry and were old-school A/G. Ah, my roots. How I miss a good pentecostal service with out concern for time, and much lingering at the altar. It was such a refreshing and blessing to have the congregation of Brighton A/G pray for the ministers who came out and for Bro. Trask as he moves on.

Speaking of which, when people were wondering why he was leaving, and had a hard time accepting that he just heard from God, I agreed. "Something must have got him praying in that way in the first place right?"

He talked about it a little bit, at this, his last time preaching as the General Supt., and I got the impression that God spoke to him in the course of his regular prayer time. That shouldn't be hard for us to understand, though as I have lamented before, we pentecostal can be an awfully pragmatic bunch and demand rationales for all our movements. He said that he prayed about it from Nov. to the end of July after he heard God tell him to move on, just to be sure he heard right. His description of the process gives me renewed faith in his obedience. I just thought you might want to know.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is absolutely gorgeous, mine honey!

    I, too, enjoyed the service. I miss the old school and I pray that it won't be old school in our church. I want it to be true of our church and I want us to be alive in God to the point of seeking him each week (each Sunday night) with an altar call that people respond to.

    ReplyDelete