Monday, January 07, 2008

Fear at my core

Isaiah 58:6-14

Dear God,
I feel so bound by fear and insecurity. They oppress me as a slaver’s irons. Break the yoke I pray. Untie me. Make me glorious. May my night be transformed to shine as noon day. May the light of righteousness go before me and your Glory have my back. May your joy in me bubble out like a fountain.

Lord spend me as the currency to bring life - to rebuild the tumble down. Call me by my true name, that I may know my identity. Spend me that my prayers may reach your ears.

1 comment:

  1. I went for a walk as I asked God what to do with this. There is a mountain behind Mater Dolorosa - a part of a national forest. There live bears, cougars, coyotes, snakes and the like. I wanted to climb the mountain side. I just got into the brush when I stopped. What if I get near the bear's den. Gus said you could see it from the retreat center. What kind of animals lived in the brushy gullies, waiting to bite?

    I remembered the line from The Chronicles of Narnia - God calling higher up and farther in. I turned away from the gullies and began to climb the paths up the side of the mountain - paths made by these creatures and eroding water. The higher I got the more fear left my heart. God was telling me to walk fearlessly in his path. My heart was filled with joy when I returned to my group aching and sweaty.

    ReplyDelete