Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hunger

I am so mean and unspiritual. During a silent retreat today, as we focused on waiting, I felt dead and unengaged. I couldn’t get one image out of my mind. And its not what you’d think. I couldn’t stop thinking about the guacamole I had last night - fresh onions and pomegranate! What does that have to do with waiting. I struggled. Maybe I’m just hungry, I thought. Sometimes when I’m fasting, I turn my thoughts of hunger to God. I’m hungry for you. I kept coming back to that. That expectant hunger - Lord increase it! I couldn’t imagine getting up and delivering the image of guacamole to the whole group though. :D

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! That looks delish! And I'm not even that big a fan of guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, as a by-participant of that guacamole dip and accompanying salsa - IT WAS A MEAN DIP & DELIGHT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This image of hunger is becoming more important as the week moves on. It is the foil for the fear at my core to move in the gifts of the Spirit. It is the invitation to explore my own stream of Christian tradition. It is a delightful call to hope in God again to use me as his tool.

    Should I feel ashamed for saying his word, he tells me "its on me." He is my glory, as I wait in him I will not be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete