Friday, February 08, 2008

Living Word

I am stuck by how powerfully the reality of the living Christ is to our Spiritual Formation. Paul says, “if the Lord be not risen then we are of all men most miserable.” How true. He is the very word of God. He is embodied in our scriptures just as he was for a few decades in flesh. Now he lives on both in glorified body and transforming Spirit.
Johnson points out that the church while the body of Christ is not the “radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being” (Hebrews 1:3 NIV). “The mystical body of the church is less a container than a sign that points beyond itself to the life it so inadequately expresses” (Johnson 39). Can you imagine a church so fully transformed that we actually reflect the glory of God. I am reminded of Colossians 3:3-4 “For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory” (NIV). Some great reason to touch finger to flame! Eh?

1 comment:

  1. Pastor,

    I came across your blog tonight and it is striking. You make me think as much as I should, but never have time to do on my own. Just taking a few minutes to read your thoughts helps me with my walk as well.

    thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete