Saturday, February 09, 2008

unity through diversity

My friend Kim Butts said,
"It would be an amazing thing for the body of Christ to intentionally draw together in unity around His word so that we can experience and obey Jesus in all His fullness."

So often, it seems, as we gather around the word, we find more to divide us than to bind us together. We need to learn a new way. We need to be the body of Christ as we approach the word of Christ. My experiences with my local ministerial have taught me the richness of really coming together around the word, as we do weekly (ah the joys of the revised common lectionary!).

I believe diversity is the key to community. A homogeneous group isn't able to meet on another's needs nor see properly. Like the fable of the blind men inspecting the elephant, God is too big for any of us to grasp so we all the more need on another. The more diverse views of God we get the better we can see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment