Friday, December 05, 2008

Praying together by ipod

I am quite taken with the latest tool I’ve found in my quest for spiritual discipline. The podcast from divineoffice.org offers wonderful readings of the hours. I adore their use of music throughout the podcast both incidentally under some of the prayers as well as at the time of the hymn. A bell chimes at the beginning and end calling the soul to prayer. I was reminded sweetly of praying with monks when on retreat. They pray with feeling and expression as I pray when alone. The form of prayer in community usually lacks such expression for sake of unity. Indeed the different voices praying together sounded hokey when I first listened, but when I joined them in prayer with my own voice, I joined the community of faith everywhere. It was as if that handful of praying voices was suddenly intimate to me. Then there was the silence. I was not rushed through, there were times of savoring the presence of God in our prayers together – times I do not often enough afford myself when praying alone. Having this podcast readily available on my computer and ipod will remove one more hindrance to praying the hours I find so dulcet.

Click here to subscribe to the divine office podcast

No comments:

Post a Comment