Thursday, August 05, 2004

Stewardship and the End?

I can't get my head around Luke 12.32-48. Luke places this discussion of freedom from material attachment right before Jesus' saying "(40)You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

What should our response to money and possessions be in light of his immanent return? Jesus tells us to free ourselves from worry, to sell our possessions giving to the poor.

Eschatology can do funny things to our stewardship. A healthy expectation for the return of Christ can inspire us to give it all away and join a commune, or ignore our stewardship of the earth, piling up a mountain of Styrofoam or going into extreme debt with no intention to pay it off. Christ will be back before it means anything.

Is there more to this juxtaposition of stewardship and expectation than not being attached to our possessions? How important is our detachment? What does this say about our practical giving within the community of faith?

These questions all strain for the light of day as I try to find the truth in this passage. Though this truth is as plain as I can see: I worry.

My own struggle to make ends meet, to provide for my precious wife and daughter and face the prospect of a baby son, often knocks me to worry--worry to the point of depression.

Lord, I know you are coming back soon, I trust you and you have always... always shown yourself faithful to me. Thank you for your tender desire to give me your kingdom! I truly feel like a helpless lamb in your flock. I cannot be the provider, I can only trust the good shepherd to feed me and mine. Thank you precious Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment