Friday, August 06, 2004

There is something manic in making people laugh

Tonight was our first performance of "The Good Doctor." Nervous as I was, I was caught up in an ecstasy when the lights came down and my character Kistunov finally goes mad, the audience continued laughing and cheering as I walked off stage. The feeling wasn't because I had done a great job, or that "they like me, they really like me," but simply that we had connected the audience and I. I was able to tickle them, coaxing joy from the inmost places. It is an intimate thing, and a great drug to me.

Lord, there is in this desire to laugh at ourselves a glue that binds us on an intimate level. I thank you for building that into us.

I want to live in rapture with you. Come laugh over me. Love me and tickle me. I need your joy as well as your depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment