Monday, May 12, 2008

Delight at District Council

Reflections of district council:

One of most meaningful aspects of District Council to me is the honoring of the saints who have gone before us. We may be of a tradition that does not understand or appreciate veneration of Saints, still we understand what it means to be a saint, and delight in the legacy that the heroes of the faith leave us.

The banquet on Tuesday night honors the saints who have been ordained ministers for 50 years. This year among the others our former General Superintendent, Tom Trask was also honored. Norm Muhling was honored as well as he prepared to leave the district office for retirement. With heart felt enthusiasm we applauded each with a standing ovation. My heart swelled with gratitude each time I stood applauding the life and faithfulness of these saints. My face must have beamed as I delighted in them. Norm said that this was the closest thing to hearing his own funeral eulogies that he had experienced. I chuckled, but looking back the feeling I had that night was much like the times I have knelt by a casket and meditated on the life of the one commended to God.

Ovations continued throughout the week as gratitude would well up with in us for saints we love dearly. We honored those ordained for forty years, we honored Bro. Leach’s love and leadership to our district and Bro. Trask’s years of service at headquarters. I could tell Elaine was getting a little tired of standing up so often, but I wasn’t, my heart would stand and clap much longer for those who showed the way, for those who love us with their ministry. At times they seemed embarrassed, at others moved to tears.

Thursday night it was our turn. Elaine and I were ordained Thursday, both of us. One of the things I love about the Michigan District is the way that, from our first introduction to the leaders of the district, we have felt like they actually cared about us. Jeff Kennedy said, “Of course, that is because we do.” I have felt like they have taken a personal interest in us, like they delight in us. Who are we to receive such love, such interest? Are we rising stars in the Assemblies of God? Are we success personified? Hardly! I have a suspicion that our leaders love all of us, they look on all of us with delight. Still under their gaze I feel like a star, I feel successful. I love it.

Well, Thursday night all of us being ordained were in the front row. I’d catch a glimpse of the eyes of our leaders. They were watching us worship, beaming, taking genuine delight in us! I wondered, like a child, caught up in their delight. Then I thought of The Father in heaven delighting over his children, dancing over us! They weren’t alone. Again the congregation swelled in gratitude. Perhaps it was the joy of a fresh bunch of saints being consecrated to ministry, we beginning the adventure those Tuesday night have nearly completed, but they stood and applauded us. I truly hope that those who I have stood and applauded this week also knew the feeling of delight that we had in them.

Thank you, Father, for taking delight in us. Thank you for your saints, this wonderful family that you have given us. Thank you for the grace you gave those who have finished strong. Help us too. May 2058 find us faithful, if not already home.

No comments:

Post a Comment