Saturday, May 17, 2008

Music Appreciation

Reflect on the fragmentation of spirituality in [modern development] comparable to the ecclectic diversity today in musical tastes (there are no groups today like the Beatles; there are no theologians like Karl Barth). Does this simply mean everyone picks and chooses what they think best for themselves? How do we avoid a consumer approach to spirituality?
-Mojo
Mojo's music metaphors reminds me of my class in music appreciation. The goal was to expose us to the musics of other cultures. As a stupid freshman I thought it wise to share my roommate's cd set rather than get my own. Now I kick myself every time I want to hear the Islamic call to prayer or a Chinese aria. Over the years my musical tastes have broadened. Some of the pop music I listened to as a teen, I can't stand. At the same time I have grown to appreciate hardcore and bluegrass simultaneously (though country is still devil's work).

The myriad options provide opportunities for growth and expression. To be honest, when I think of the fractured and many spiritualities, their quarrellings and shopping patrons, my stomach knots up. I feel nauseated much I like I feel when listening to country.

The point is that we can explore and appreciate the wide world of music (or spirituality). That is not to say we have to completely throw out our preferences, I will always have a special place in my heart for Jazz, Big Band and crooners, but I have found classical to enrich my life. Were I to turn my nose up at all these expressions (country accepted) I would fail to embrace the wonders of life. In spirituality I can also get stuck in one favorite genre the expense of all others, only to serve my preferences. It is then that I replace "disciple" with "consumer."

No comments:

Post a Comment