Friday, September 12, 2008

The Atonement and Spiritual Direction

In Moon and Benner's book, Spiritual Direction and the Care of Souls, they give a section to Spiritual Direction from various traditions. Gary Temple offers an interesting description of Spiritual Direction in the Episcopal tradition that has me thinking.

I find it interesting that the "snake belly low"* Episcopal churches in America have, in their focus on the Atonement, left out spiritual direction all together (83). Every Thursday I hear from one local Methodist pastor whose congregation has Baptist roots. He has a hard time getting them past their salvation (a product of the blood) to see the importance of sanctification (spiritual formation). He notes that the most cantankerous trouble makers in his congregation often pray "Thank you that you have covered me with your blood," and yet it doesn't seem to amend their lives.

I come from a tradition myself that has a high view of the Atonement, or I should say a tunnel vision view of Atonement. I, too, have seen a reticence among the more evangelistic of my colleagues to see any importance for ministry beyond the salvation altar call. Certainly spiritual direction to many of them would be a foreign concept and a waste of time.

However, Temple offers the way out (94). Couch your high view of the Atonement in a high view of the Incarnation. Now you can appreciate the work of Christ's life as well as his death.

*This was the term used by Anglican retreatants at the Abby while I was on retreat in describing the vast variety in the Anglican Communion, from High Church to low - snake belly low.

No comments:

Post a Comment