Friday, March 06, 2009

Ah the psalms my old friends...

So good to spend time with you again!

This week in the psalms, especially in connection with the liturgy of the hours, has been refreshing. How have they stayed with me? I think phrases do come back. It is like they become helium molecules in my head, bouncing around filling me. I can almost feel them now under my scalp. Each time I sat down with them, the psalms were a Sabbath retreat for me. Engaging Muller this week made that even more pointed. How has this changed the way in interact with people? Here is a story:

Just tonight the couple that is staying with us got some bad news. Becky's sister's recently ex-boyfriend committed suicide tonight. As they were on the phone dealing with their family, I turned to the office of the dead and prayed the evening prayer. I was quietly directing the prayers to the couple in the other room. I found that afterward for hours that I was mourning. The prayers were emotionally intense and continued that way. I was mourning with those who mourn thanks to the grace found in praying the psalms.

No comments:

Post a Comment