Sunday, March 15, 2009

Stone

Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions by Albert Haase

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary


Albert Hasse, lays out the spiritual life as coming home. He describes God as being at home and we returning to find him in the present moment. Using the imagery of the parable of the prodigal son, Hasse describes our need to leave the pigpen of our false self and come to the place of our true self.



Believe

Hasse quotes greats such as Meister Eckhart and St. John of the Cross. He builds his argument on the finding of God in the present moment where God communes with the imago dei in the true self. Meister Eckhart’s quote is central, “God is at home. It is we who have gone out on a walk.” If this is true then it follows that our work is to turn away from those tings that draw us to wander away from home and return to our house. Hasse calls these attention-drawing things the empty P’s according to his alliterative ordering.



Doubt

Hasse’s focus on the present moment can leave us unbalanced with reference to the future. At it’s worst we can spend the present moment lost in the false self, unconscious of the consequences of our actions. At it’s best such and imbalance fails to recognize the power of time to bring change. With out time change could not occur. The proper corrective to an unbalanced focus on the present moment is Hasse’s reference to the cyclical journey of awakening, illumination, purgation and union. One can also take issue with the true/false-self dichotomy as with out basis in scripture. However I find it does a good job in recognizing the imago dei is still within the midst of fallen humanity.



Synthesis

While I have had my fill of alliteration (after Kellemen) Hasse makes good sense in his empty P’s and escape from the pig pen. I found myself of thinking of Innocent Smith as I read about living with disciplined focus in the present moment with awe and wonder. The material is easy to balance and integrate into my spiritual journey.



Application

This book is rich with material, I can see myself returning to it as I teach my congregation about the spiritual life. The things that grab my attention right now are a couple practices Hasse mentions. One is the use of a word with little meat on it to return our attention to the presence of God. I found my mind immediately drawn to the word “stone.” Perhaps it is because of the stone’s lack of meat, or because I see it sitting at the side of the door to my home. I imagine it like some teleporter, that all I have to do is think about it and I am back at my door, ready to engage God in the present moment. The other thing that was very timely was Hasse’s treatment of lent (pp 96-110). His description of a feng shui reestablishing and preserving of relationships gave penance a needed focus to me.




View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment