Thursday, October 14, 2004

Labyrinth


At ministerial today we had an exciting discussion about labyrinths. I have tried meditating with an online labyrinth, so I was cuirous if any of the guys had experiene with the real thing. Turns out there will be a mobile prayer labyrinth at a local high school November 10th. I can't wait.

Chuck shared his experience praying through a labyrinth that took him three and half hours. Cliff said that at a convent he went to in south Michigan the labyrinth had stones that marked the place for the nuns who found they could go no further that day. Wow. The power of God meets the seeking mind.

Ah... The contemplative life.

4 comments:

  1. Chris, I love labyrinths and have had a wonderful time with them. In fact I have one in my yard, a 7 turn one, that needs some work done on it. They have been meaningful to me, especially as a way of focusing on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I've thought about putting a labyrinth in our yard or at the church. It seems so attractive, I tend to move when I pray in general, I imagine that having purpose to the movement and engaging my body and soul in meditation would be a powerful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Christopher,

    I helped build a grass and brick labyrinth at my seminary. It is quite beautiful. You seem to be really drawn to labyrinths, you must follow your heart! :)

    Thanks for visitng my blog. I will add you to my roll.

    Blessings,
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your labyrinth-church photo on the web, very nice.
    The soul is an interior labyrinth, the world is also a labyrinth, as it seems. Philosophy/Theology is a terrifying labyrinth for those who venture into it without the Theseus-Christ guide, to show them how to defeat the Aristotelean Minotuar in the center. Libraries are also labyrinths.

    ReplyDelete