Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Patheways to healing

Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash the Power of Authentic Life in Christ Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash the Power of Authentic Life in Christ by Peter Scazzero

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
Scazzero’s six healing pathways serve as a good summary of the way of contemplative spirituality that marks good spiritual formation. The value of his treatment isn’t in saying anything new but in providing a perspective on these practices through the lens of emotional health.

He picks up on elements of St. John of the Cross (the dark night of the soul), Ronald Rolheiser (the paschal mystery), and the rules of Ignatius and Benedict. He cast these ancient truths in language that is easy for a layperson. I can see using this book with someone new to the rich traditions of spiritual formation.

The path that has proved the most powerful to me over the last years is truly that of rhythm. The Divine Office and Sabbath have been anchors to me, and dear friends.

Recently I read over my rule of life again, a practice I ought to make part of my rule too (reading it over periodically), I was reminded of the practices that I find valuable and note the ones I have missed.

Right now I am exploring the healing path, Scazzero calls “Going back in order to go forward.” In a conversation with my mom I sensed the pain of hurts that go all the way back to her youth group. I could see how that pain would create the ongoing challenges she faces. I wonder how the pain I have felt as a wee lad is still influencing me. I am getting into the genogram, to see what I can see.




View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment