Monday, May 04, 2009

Acting out the story

Mark 9:14-29

I am captured by Jesus’ compassion. Even as he chides the people for lacking “God-sense” (as The Message puts it), his deep compassion shows through. “How long will I be with you? How long before you get it?” I feel his distress as I enter in, acting each part in my mind.

“He asked the boy's father, ‘How long has this been going on?’

‘Ever since he was a little boy. Many times it pitches him into fire or the river to do away with him. If you can do anything, do it. Have a heart and help us!’

“Jesus said, ‘If? There are no “ifs” among believers. Anything can happen.’”

Can you feel the gentle goading of Jesus? The desperation of the father?

“No sooner were the words out of his mouth than the father cried, ‘Then I believe. Help me with my doubts!’”

Tears come to my eyes and my voice shakes as I read for the part of the father. It touches the place in my soul that has been longing to see God show up in our services. “I beg for you to move. If my unbelief is standing in the way, help me!”

In the same way I could play the part of any of the disciples, “Why couldn’t we do it?” Why is it that when I pray for people on Sunday morning I have yet to see the miraculous?

“This kind only comes out by prayer.” Don’t I pray enough? Is my prayer life lacking? O God search me and know me. Help me to pray more effectively, give me your heart and eyes to see and love the hurting people around.

No comments:

Post a Comment