Tuesday, February 09, 2010

From the center

I began to pray a centering prayer in the solitude of my basement office, literally warmed by candlelight.  I could see out the small window, near the ceiling, the brooding gray sky, snow flakes falling and wind a howl. There is God, hidden behind the cloud of unknowing. I hurl my love at the cloud, focusing all my love on the otherness that is the Divine Mystery.

My meditation turns to Haiti, and the thousands and millions of solitary souls hurting there. Faintly, carried on the breeze of the Spirit a song wafts up from my heart. It grows in strength and I begin to sing, “Ubi Caritas…” Live in charity, God will dwell with you. I play and sing for a time with my guitar and then I take my prayer walking around the sanctuary.

Our church is in the middle of our annual missions convention and hung on the walls are posters of various mission fields. As I pass by the images on the poster for Latin America and the Caribbean, I place my hand to the cheek of a woman who could very well be from Haiti. Love wells up wells up within me as I realize again the reality of her personhood. She is unique, not simply an image on the periphery of my life, but a real child of God, uniquely and fully loved by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment