Friday, September 17, 2004

Apprehending God

Pursuit of God: "But the very ransomed children of God themselves: why do they know so little of that habitual conscious communion with God which the Scriptures seem to offer? The answer is our chronic unbelief. Faith enables our spiritual sense to function. Where faith is defective the result will be inward insensibility and numbness toward spiritual things. This is the condition of vast numbers of Christians today. No proof is necessary to support that statement. We have but to converse with the first Christian we meet or enter the first church we find open to acquire all the proof we need."

Tears come to my eyes when I read this. O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears. I cry out for myself, that my faith falters and I become numb to the reality of God. I cry out because I am responsible for a people of numbness. The weight of the responsibility presses on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment