Friday, September 03, 2004

Clay in the potter's hand

Bible Gateway : JER 18:1-11;: "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand"

It is a fearful thing to be in the hands of God. He molds us and shapes us as he plans. There is a great cost though to us. He shapes us as it seems best to him. His desire for each of us, seekers and oblivious alike, is to shape us into something beautiful and useful. Something that can remind the world of his presence and glory.

Impure clay frustrates the potter, the beauty he sees in his mind does not work its way out in his fingers. The potter has no choice but to punch the lump back down and form something else.
For israel impurity meant destruction. God reformed them and brought glory to himself in a fearful way. He destroyed and exiled them for 70 years, only to rebuild a remnant.

Have I counted the cost of being in the potters hands? Do I resist his molding? Do I stand in fear of what his hands can do to my life, my self, and at the same time can I rest in the comfort of his loving palm?

No comments:

Post a Comment