Monday, November 01, 2004

Jesus, comfort Ella

My parents left tonight. We wanted to wait until Ella went to bed so the goodbyes wouldn’t be so painful. I thought it was best for Ella, and Grandma couldn’t handle seeing Ella’s face as they left.

We all didn’t really want Ella to go to bed and have our time together, a family, end. We let her stay up. It wasn’t until 10:30 that we tried to put her down. She was over-tired and maybe sensed something was going on. She didn’t want to leave Grandma and Grandpa to go upstairs. As she was waving good night she began to cry.

We hurried so they could leave. Ella’s cries from her bed could be heard in every stillness. We prayed and hugged and they headed out to the bus.

As they were leaving Elaine and I felt sad for Ella, She didn’t get to say goodbye to the big bus, she would wake up tomorrow to an emptiness. Perhaps this wasn’t the best way for her. We heard a thump upstairs and some crying.

We found her, fallen out of bed. I scooped her up and held her, the very thing I was anxious to do as her cries pierced our silence. Elaine sang a lullaby as I rocked her. I prayed that God would hold her through the night, singing to her, and give her peace, that she would know real love tonight.

My last desperate prayer I couldn’t give words, silently I prayed, “Lord, I give you my daughter as you gave me your Son. Take care of her”

No comments:

Post a Comment