Thursday, November 22, 2007

Adventures in Fasting part 7

The next day:

Well, my body clock has reset. I don't normally eat breakfast, so I'm pretty comfortable this morning. I am looking forward to my break-fast though: Thanksgiving dinner. While not strictly an event on the traditional church calendar, it is, or should be at least, a spiritual feast for Americans.

Winner notes in Mudhouse Sabbath that early Christian tradition pairs fasting with feasting. In order to prepare for a feast, it is good to know hunger.

"Eastern Orthodox Christian communities, it seems, understand an inhabit fasting best. During Lent, for example, they completely abstain from all meat, dairy, and egg products. the Orthodox also fast on Sunday mornings, refraining even from drinking a cup of coffee until they have partaken of Holy Communion, feeding on the body and blood of Christ before they indulge in a croissant or a stack of pancakes."
Cliff has a service this morning, but though he's preaching on Christ as the bread of life, they aren't celebrating communion. I told him if he was, "I'm so there."

No comments:

Post a Comment